Monday, April 11, 2011

Well HELLLLLOOOO my friends! Happy Monday Night ~ No, don't worry, it's not a Holiday you forgot, I'm just happy it's Monday  night, and that the next few hours of this day are finally mine!

I think I'll make this into two posts ~ one on my array of crafting over the weekend, and one on the delightful weekend in Maine.... perfect time of year up there this early spring season. (post 2 coming soon...)
Firstly, may I present to you the worlds lumpyest Granny Square! No, no, stop..... hold the applause.... 
It's a bit uneven.... and I don't really know how to join two colors together,still even now, but I did somehow.  I probably should have taken the photo from across the room so you can't see just how bad it really is! (I have been inspired by the totally cool and really neat crocheted things I've seen recently on some really amazing blogs!)  My orginal intent was to make a teeny one for my little clay bunnies, then I realized quite quickly that I couldn't even make a teeny chain ~ my thread kept strangling my hook!  So I went forth to my Mother's side of the house and begged a refresher course. This is my third attempt at the Granny in recent days (the first two I do not dare to expose to public scrutiny)... I think I was crocheting "tense"... which makes tense stitches...and then loose wobbly ones when I tried to relax...  I even gave myself a finger cramp or two.  Way back when I was shorter (yes, I was, hard to believe I know....) we (the whole family, mostly ) made and afghan of Granny Squares one summer ~ we made loads of squares, and then my Mother sewed them all together.  Since then, my craft endeavors have strayed far and wide from needle crafts.  Most things that involve an actual needle leave me bleeding from the finger tips, cursing and frustrated quite quickly. There it is, I made one.   Such as it is.  We'll see if I can manage a set.... no promises.

At some point, I moved onto something that makes more sense to me.... paper, scissors... that sort of thing. This became a little Happy Spring card for a lovely neighbor...

But I wasn't done yet!  I had to make a new rubber stamp too! He's for my snail mail friends.... If  you wonder why i'm not writing back to you,  it's because i'm over here carving rubber stamps... :)))  I hope you forgive me ~ I think of you often and I really will write soon!  Really....  Think of how cool your envelope is going to look when it arrives!!!  Yeahhhhh!! 

And this? It's a lovely pile of pretty scraps! It's larger friends are going to become yet another project; which in the interest of personal safety I have talked my mother into doing the tricky bits with the sharp needles and pointy pins and other other scary sewing things... You just have to be patient and see what it becomes.
Don't you just love a bit of mystery on a Monday night?
The PBS Materpiece classics got nothin' on me!  :))))

5 comments:

  1. Your granny square ain't that bad ... I expected much worse after your horrid stories ...
    The rubber stamp ... wonder if I am ever going to see the result in real life :-))))

    ReplyDelete
  2. oooh, that granny square looks good to me, I have yet to attempt one. I have the needles and some wool, but it's years since I crotched, so I'm going to look on you tube at a tutorial, I've done this once, but it takes a while to sink in! Well done. I love those paper cut bunnies, they are cute! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh well done! So you DO have talent for needleworks, too! I know how to knit and do cross-stitches, but I am hopeless at crocheting. I intend to do squares and always end up with triangels....Am really looking forward to the rubber stamp on the next letter. It really is worth waiting for it ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks good, look forward to seeing what you make. Antic24 blog has tutorials, Her work is really inspiring. The bunny cut work is lovely, make a nice garland, and really like your snail stamp. Happy crafting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That should have said. Attic24.blog.

    ReplyDelete