Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Miniature Horse 101

Yup... it has happened.  I tried for almost 3 years to not have a horse in the back yard.  I had lots of good reasons why not.... (in many ways having a husband is like having a 10 year old boy... "but i waannnnt one, he won't eat much, I'll take care of him, he won't take up much space, we can teach him to pull a cart!)
Oh "yeah" right? Are you as convinced as I am?
O.K., don't answer that... and really, stop shaking your head.
But alas I gave up. 
Like water over stone, eventually my resolve was worn away.
  I stopped fighting the inevitable... I guess I simply got tired of repeating myself. (and I suppose i should just be thankful that he's not the giant draft horse he orginally wanted).
I spent the Saturday digging up my vegetable garden... to be relocated to the far front lawn... far far from the nearest hose spigot.  My potatoes were carted away on a piece of (very heavy) plywood. (Which i might add the husband found so funny he had to leave me to run and get the camera). Why am I hauling produce?
 I thougth the magic pony was gonna do that on his cart?
 My strawberry plants, dripping with tiny berries were plucked forth from the earth and toted away in the blazing sun.
I was an exhausted pile of person on Saturday, and that was before Cricket the tiny horse was delivered and the tiny horse wrestling began.
He wasn't so excited about going in the barn...
As luck would have it, the lovely lady who watches our goats when we are away (who has a horse of her own) came by to meet Cricket.  She showed us how to
"man handle" our 300 pound horse and convince him to comply with our polite request to go inside.  He has since discovered it's much easy to just walk on in than to be pushed!
We have a lot to learn now.  See how I say "we".  I have decided to do my best to embrace the darling little creature now that he's ensconced in my former veggie plot.
If we keep this up the town will eventually kick us clean out.
Of course, that might not be the worst thing that could happen.
If you squint, you can see the outline of my four (former) raised beds there in the earth.
Please don't think i have anything against horses, I love horses. Took lessons growing up... went riding...
However, when I pictured the horse I'd one day own back then.... I admit i pictured one I could actually ride, without my feet touching the ground on both sides...
 He looks like a wild thing from a forgotten hillside in England someplace...
with this shaggy flowing mane!

Ahhhh a boy and his little horse.
What could be better right?
Welcome to the Funny Farm Cricket; you don't have to be crazy to live here... but it helps.

9 comments:

  1. Oh he's so gorgeous!!! What a sweetie. Shame about the veg garden though. Your husband sounds like my husband, those his wants are mechanical, but I know what you mean by 'like water over stone'. If I do that it's called 'nagging'!
    Dan
    -x-

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is this the horse you mentioned in the letters? If so, you know he needed a better home :)) And I knew you'd eventually "give in" as you are a sweet, gentle soul. He is just gourgeous and I am sure you are already in love with him:) I am:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a handsome little fellow he is. He will feel at home soon in this crazy zoo. But I bet he'd love the company of a horse-friend. :-))))
    I can't post a comment with my own account so it's "anonymous".
    Eve

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a different horse than the one who was abused... it was determined we, being very green with horses, didn't have the skills necessary to deal with a horse with "issues"...one of them being a fear of men... :(
    But none the less, i did "give in", yes. :)
    I am not thinking we need any more horses, but thank you for the thought from the "anonymous" peanut gallery. :)))))

    ReplyDelete
  5. I thinking I should start "nagging" about something now... I just can't decide what I might want. Hmmmmm. :)))

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cricket looks fun! Cool name too!! Sorry about your garden relocation though...hope its s fruitful move!
    Our son is well versed in the art of water over stoning....he's been dripping hints of Chritmas presents for a couple of months already!!
    Ali x

    ReplyDelete
  7. He's a little cutey I love his mane! You are lucky having such a menagerie, although it may take some looking after! I've been having trouble posting on my little notebooky thing, so I couldn't get back to you, keep being anonymous etc? Anyway, thank-you for your comments on my blog X Jules

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, Christmas hints in early spring, that's planning ahead! Hopefully my strawberries will carry on and be "fruitful" indeed! :)))
    I get the feeling that blogger was having a problem again... making people anonymous who aren't really.. :( Glad you girls got thru on the cyber air waves anyway! Finding you here makes a girl smile inside! :)))

    ReplyDelete
  9. Finding a gay sizegenetics years ago would once be somewhat risky as well difficult. You never really knew who you were going to build or if they were an honest person. In case you use the services from an online agency, you feature the opportunity to choose from many good looking men, all of whom have experience within art of sizegenetics and are there to please you. Most men whorrrre looking for only a male sizegenetics want one that may relax them, make them feel good all over and moreover be done by an attractive man. You should get all of these and more while you use an agency.
    http://buysizegeneticsonline.tumblr.com/

    ReplyDelete